IT manager with eighteen years of experience in the industry. Business-critical skills include project management, budgeting, staffing, documentation (policy writing and contracts), and business disaster recovery planning. Technical skills cover networking and server systems. Effective in customer service oriented structures, working with technology and people to deliver results.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
Bachelor of Business Administration, Management Information Systems, UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN
Documentation, RFPs, Project Management, Staff Supervision & Mentoring, Budgeting, Technology Review and Business Alignment, Business Recovery Planning
Several popular applications on both the Unix/Linux and Microsoft platforms, including Office and Project Management Software, Directory Services, Database, Name Resolution, Backup, Messaging, Virtual Machine, Web Services, Version Control, Network Configuration Management, and Security software packages.
HP, Cisco, Juniper
Linux (Redhat, Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu), Microsoft (Windows Server 2008), Mac OS X
HP, EMC, Dell/Equallogic, Brocade
DIRECTOR OF IT
Gearbox Software, Plano, Texas
Support the efforts of coders, level designers, artists, and support staff at game development studio. Maintain existing systems and implement new systems to handle capacity and grow the studio. Design network to support active projects and development partnerships. Contribute to the production of great games.
· Consolidated infrastructure to reduce server and network footprint. This reduced HVAC, power, space, and management requirements. Project implemented using blades and virtualization (VMWare ESX, HP, Brocade).
· Upgraded switching and routing to noticeably increase network performance (HP).
· Deployed site-to-site VPNs with business partners. Provided an enhanced security posture (Juniper, Cisco).
· Performed several storage migrations to enhance availability and capacity (HP, EMC).
· Contributed to several OS migrations and upgrades to consolidate on two major platforms for ease of support and consistency of features (Windows, Linux).
SENIOR NETWORK MANAGER, Network Engineering
JCPenney, Plano, Texas
Responsibility for network supporting nearly 200,000 employees. Lead team of engineers supporting HP Openview (NNM), Netcool, Voyence, and other network management tools.
· Managed RFP process for replacement of IP Address management system
· Oversaw deployment of company IT dashboard which included Netcool framework and integration with other tools such as Remedy and Openview
MANAGER UNIX GROUP, ITS
University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
Lead a team of engineers in supporting mission-critical services including electronic courseware, database (Oracle, MySQL), web storage, email, virtualization, and the www.utexas.edu website. Manage projects from conception to completion, overseeing a staff of twelve and implementing systems impacting over 50000 students, 2500 faculty, and 19000 staff.
· Created or updated SLAs for services offered to other campus and UT System groups
· Managed update of campus web storage system, providing improved web interface and greater storage capacity. Involved working with vendor on resolving program bugs, updating internal timelines, and helping communicate the deployment process to the entire campus community.
· Managed update of Webmail system, deploying improved web interface with increased feature-set. Impacted faculty, students, and staff.
Manager IT Engineering / Manager Server Systems / Contractor
TEKTRONIX/INET TECHNOLOGIES INC., Richardson, Texas
Provide leadership and project management in IT systems. Manage a team of systems engineers supporting server and client Unix Solaris/Red Hat Linux/Windows systems. Involved in all aspects of IT.
· Managed PC helpdesk operations
· Participated in migration planning–Win2k to Win2k3, Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 8/9 and RH Linux
· Deployed anti-viral tools including anti-viral filtering, junk mail blocking, and email content filtering
* Assisted in deployment Ethernet switched network, then later upgrades to GB network.
* Personally implemented several technical projects including directory services, NIS, email, calendar, DNS/DHCP, WINS, Windows Terminal Server/Citrix, CVS, and enterprise backup
* Designed, deployed, and managed web-based solution to securely share development efforts with offsite partners/contractors/outsourced workers (India and China) – this solution kept Intellectual Property within network perimeter and reduced cost traditionally associated with deploying remote engineering locations
* Managed project to integrate site into larger company WAN, including oversight of server and network hardware/software/configuration changes
* Managed design and deployment of secure access solution for customers. Took this project from design to implementation, working with the Service & Delivery group
* Developed Business Disaster Recovery Plan (BRP) for line of business
* Planned and performed corporate move including data center design, cabling layout, UPS, and A/C
* Responsible for departmental budgeting, including forecasts and managing expenses
INFORMATION SERVICES MANAGER / Contractor
Cambridge University Press, New York, New York
Manage staff and technology for New York branch of the Press. Responsible for all technology in office from servers to networks. Responsible for budgeting, lease management, technological direction, staff mentoring, etc.
· Implemented anti-spam solution to drastically reduce incoming spam and free up employees for more productive work
· Negotiated with vendors on upgrade of link to Internet, managed cutover from T1 to frac-T3, including installation of new Cisco router. Negotiated price for doubled bandwidth at only a fraction more than what was paid for T1.
· Changed PC platforms to less expensive yet still fully effective models. Saved roughly ten thousand dollars over course of year.
· Planned and managed NY office IT budget. Had purchasing authority on all IT systems
· Structured IT department in more customer-focused manner. This included specific staff responsibilities, user feedback forms, and meetings with departmental Directors. Implementation of electronic ticketing system noticeably improved customer service performance.
· Assisted in specification, evaluation, and deployment of CRM system designed to replace paper and other ad-hoc processes. Sole person responsible for negotiation of features and price with vendor.
· Wrote and implemented several IT policies, including New York office security policy.
· Consolidated multiple servers and storage arrays into single, more efficient SAN based configuration.
Systems Administration, Network Engineering, and Consulting.
Time Period: 1994-1998
Details available upon request.